St. Mary’s Episcopal Church is looking for an Interim Director of Music to serve the parish during its new rector search. The position is expected to be for one year, or long enough to overlap with the new rector by three months, whichever is longer. The Interim Director of Music will be welcome to apply for the permanent position when the time comes. St. Mary’s is a warm community of faith, with a vibrant musical tradition. We seek a candidate who has a strong familiarity and love for the Episcopal liturgy as well as different liturgical and musical traditions, and who will support worship through music.
- In consultation with the Interim Priest, organize the musical program for the Adult and Junior Choirs around the cycle of the church calendar, festivals and other special events. Within this framework, and again, in consultation with the Interim Priest, select each week’s music/hymns to reinforce the spiritual lives of congregants in a parish that very strongly loves music, singing, and a variety of musical traditions.
- Attend weekly staff lunches, as well as other committee meetings as necessary. Provide music program updates to the Vestry.
- Welcome, recruit and train new Adult Choir members, of all ages and musical abilities, while supporting more experienced choristers and section leaders. The Adult Choir currently rehearses Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 P.M.
- Provide a well-structured and warm environment for the Junior Choir ministry. The Junior Choir, ages 5-13, currently rehearses Thursdays at 6:30 7:15 PM, and sings during worship once a month.
- From September through mid-June, the 10 A.M. service includes choral, organ and/or piano music during worship. Currently during the summer, the 9 A.M service has organ and/or piano music and occasional soloists to accompany the service.
- Plan and provide music for additional services throughout the year such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Lessons and Carols and Christmas Eve. Other special music events would be optional, depending on the interests of the candidate.
- Provide additional music for weddings and funerals, in consultation with the Interim Priest, for additional compensation.
- Track section leader hours, and oversee their compensation, submitting check requests to the bookkeeper each month. Obtain or hire instrumental or vocal soloists, within the budget, for special occasions. Purchase music and supplies within the budget; supervise the music library.
- Schedule and oversee maintenance of two-manual Noack tracker organ and pianos (Steinway and Mason and Hamlin grands, Yamaha upright). Oversee necessary care of choir robes, and Junior Choir crosses.
The Interim Director may also apply and be considered for the permanent Music Director position, when the time comes.
The Interim Director of Music is a part-time position (20 hours/week). Compensation is negotiable and commensurate with education and experience.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, supporting materials and a minimum of two references to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is also posted on St. Mary’s website: www.st-marys-episcopal.org.