GENERAL: The music director/organist oversees the music program of North Congregational Church, in support of the worship team, including but not limited to: general worship music selection; choral and special group and/or individual music selection; scheduling and conducting rehearsals; providing worship service accompaniment and establishing communication pathways with pastor, choir/musical groups and any other board teams and congregation as necessary or as directed. Employed by the NCC Board of Ministries to work a minimum of five hours per week, forty-eight weeks per year (with four weeks’ vacation).
REPORTS TO: The Pastor
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Plans with the pastor on weekly basis, general worship service music, with information to be relayed for placement within each Sunday bulletin.
- Responsible for providing music and musical support for worship services.
- Selects special seasonal music to be chosen in concert with the pastor allowing sufficient time for preparations and rehearsals.
- Works with Pastor in choral music selection allowing sufficient time for preparation, and rehearsals for performance.
- Provides sheet music for choir members prior to rehearsal. May relinquish responsibility to an appointed assistant.
- Establishes consistent weekly rehearsal schedules for regularly performing groups.
- Facilitates additional rehearsal times as needed, for special music group(s) and individual performances.
- Works with Sunday School Team to provide musical support for Christian Education curriculum, including but not limited to seasonal pageants and special service performances, and assisting in procuring special music as needed and requested.
- Arranges for coverage in times of absence, (scheduled vacation) with 2 weeks advanced notice given to pastor.
- In times of illness or family emergency, will immediately notify Pastor, Worship Team Leader or Moderator. In the event of illness or family emergency requiring music director’s absence, coverage will be provided by pastor and/or members of the worship team.
- Possesses educational experience and training in organ/piano and choral directing
- Responsible for reliable working function of all sound equipment
- Schedules annual organ maintenance as required. Organ repairs are to be reported to the Board of Ministry immediately.
- Maintains organ loft in orderly condition.
- Maintains sheet music files. Duty may be relinquished to an appointed assistant.
- Coordinates rehearsal schedules to provide clear and adequate notice to choir members and special groups.
- Provides on-going communications with choral groups concerning rehearsal schedules, performances, and performance dates.
- Upon direct request from the Sunday School Team accommodates musical needs of Sunday School Team and other teams/groups.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
North Congregational Church is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available persons in every job. Church policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, gender identification, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship status, height, weight or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
Social Media Statement:
Employees of North Congregational Church understand that they are expected to be professional in all aspects of their work, including their social media presence. They understand that they are to use social media in a responsible manner to protect their ministry as well as the ministry of North Congregational Church.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION OR TO APPLY:
Contact: Rev. Patty Kogut
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org