The Common School, a progressive N-6th grade school in the Pioneer Valley of Western MA, is seeking an experienced Music Teacher for a part-time position. Music at The Common School is influenced by the teachings of Orff and Kodaly, and encompasses the understanding of music concepts, singing, playing rhythm instruments and recorder, movement and listening. Music is often integrated into classroom thematic studies.
The Common School’s Mission is guided by the philosophy that meaningful education must cultivate the imagination and instill an appreciation for learning as an engaging, joyful pursuit. The Common School creates a safe and stimulating atmosphere for learning that encourages children to trust in themselves and others, honor differences, question, take risks, collaborate, assume responsibility, and discover individual areas of strength and interest.
The Common School is committed to building and sustaining a community that is richly diverse and includes a wide range of family structures, racial, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, gender identities and students with various abilities, needs and learning.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design and implement Music Curriculum K-6, including singing, theory, chorus, recorder and /or other instrumental work, drama and performance
- Encourage creativity through music, drama and movement
- Collaborate with faculty within our integrated program
- Direct spring musical
- Manage several choral and recorder performances
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years teaching experience
- Versed in music education
- Familiarity with integrated learning through a thematic approach
- Experience and grounding in multicultural awareness and practice
- Value the role social-emotional development in children
- Excellent communication skills
We seek candidates who will add to the racial, cultural and gender diversity of the school community. Qualified candidates should send (1) letter of interest, (2) statement of educational philosophy, including comments on background, training, work or other experiences with multicultural education and diversity work, (3) resume and (4) references to:
Christine Lindeman, Head of School
The Common School
PO Box 2248
Amherst, MA 01004