Voices of MetroWest seeks an energetic conductor to lead a mostly a cappella, non-audition choir in weekly rehearsals, occasional supplemental / Saturday rehearsals, a few community performances (e.g. Christmas Caroling at the Common in Framingham, Natick Summer Market), and assist with two formal show weekends annually. The conductor will work directly with the Music Director who is based out-of-state. Music selection may be collaborative, but Music Director will have final decisions. The Conductor will teach weekly while collaborating with the Music Director, and assisting in any performance or musical needs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Elevating a performance from the page to the stage
- Working closely with the Music Director to maintain season schedule and end-of-season performance for two concerts annually and additional community performances as the opportunities arise.
- Preparing for and teaching weekly rehearsals on Wednesdays from 7:00 to 8:45 p.m. to ensure preparation for end-of-season shows.
- Preparing for and teaching supplemental / Saturday rehearsals TBD each season, never more than two per season and four hours in any given week.
- Preparing for and directing community performances (TBD in advance of each season).
- Effectively communicate constructive criticism and areas for improvement at rehearsals
- Using the theories of vocal training, vocal performance, general music theory, to explain complicated rhythms, harmonies, perfect and relative pitch.
- Distinguishing the talents and gifts for singing, playing and conveying the music with inspiration and craft
- Upholding the Voices organization and family of community and learning
- Memorizing and referencing all context and source materials with ease
- Equipping the performers with the motivation necessary to discover and deliver
- Attendance at and preparation for quarterly meetings with Board of Directors
- Other work as needed based on discussion and agreement
- Able and willing to record rehearsals and upload them to a specified location
- Meeting with potential sound technicians and band members (depending on the concert theme) and coordinating rehearsals with them
- Pull us out of our comfort zone
- Elevating the show to the stage by including entrances, exits, movement and choreography
- At least weekly communication to members regarding rehearsal, and performance details and other important information
- Encourage volunteers and assist with maintenance, coordination, collection, organizing, archiving, and dissemination of music and listening tracks (most of this will be done by Music Director and volunteers)
- Minimum of three (3) years working in music, preferably with focus in contemporary/popular music or musical theater.
- Qualified candidates will have a strong teaching and performance background. Choral conducting experience is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, humor, integrity, maturity, and good judgment.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Strong accompaniment skills, piano or guitar preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google applications. Experience in Finale or similar music arranging program preferred.
- Availability on Wednesday evenings late August through June, with concerts in the late fall and early spring, plus some evenings and weekends per the concert schedule and meetings with the Board of Directors.
- Position requires occasional lifting of heavy printed materials, and large boxes, as well as use of a computer.
- Position requires use of a car or access to public transportation / commuter rail.
- Additional skills always welcome.
- Salary commensurate with industry standard. This is a part-time position requiring an average of 8 to 10 hours per week.
Please send resume, cover letter, names of three references and phone numbers to
Jackie Pierciey, President, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Voices of MetroWest is an equal opportunity employer. Interviews will include a short conducting session with our singers and will be scheduled when we have a diverse pool of candidates.
About Voices of MetroWest
Voices of MetroWest is a community choir dedicated to singing together for the joy and sheer passion of making music, having fun, and sharing that gift with the wider world. A non-audition, adult group, we invite any and all who love to sing to be a part of the Voices family. Our repertoire and membership is eclectic and diverse. Some of us have only sung along to the radio before Voices, while others have deep musical theatre roots. We perform music mostly a cappella with our own theatrical flair, and have done nearly everything from Broadway to gospel to Motown to folk. Rehearsals are weekly, late August through June, with concerts in the late fall and early spring, and with other occasional community performances.